Miscellaneous Obituaries

Danforth, Rev. Calvin

Donated by Lisa Slaski, 4/2/2015.
Source: Minutes of the Annual Conferences of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for the years, 1829-1839, Vol. 2, J. Collord, Printer, 1840.


Calvin Danforth was the oldest son of Luther and Henrietta Danforth, of Fort Covington, Franklin county, N. Y. He was made acquainted with the consolations of pardoning mercy when quite young, and very early gave indications of public usefulness; and while he was yet an exhorter he was employed by the presiding elder of the Potsdam district to travel on Canton circuit. At the close of the conference year he was licensed to preach, and recommended to the Oneida annual conference. At the session of the conference in Utica, in July, 1830, he was received on trial, and appointed to Wadding, on the St. Lawrence River. In 1831 he was appointed to Canton circuit, but laboured on Fabius circuit. In 1832 he was appointed to West Utica, and in 1833 to Rome. In all these places he left seals of his ministry. While he was at Utica he was seized with the cholera, then prevailing in that city, from which his constitution never wholly recovered. Before the close of the year at Rome his health so far declined, that on the following year he was superannuated. His medical advisers thought that a residence at the south would be favourable to his health. The first part of his residence there so improved it, that he attended the session of the Black River conference, of which he was a member, then held at Watertown. But the chilling winds of the north soon admonished him of the importance of a southern climate. He journeyed to Milledgeville, took up his residence there, and engaged in the study of medicine. He so far succeeded in that study as to become an acceptable and successful practitioner. But his health soon declined seriously. In the fall of 1838 he took up his residence at St. Augustine, Florida, with the hope that a still more southern climate might lengthen out his earthly pilgrimage; but the relentless hand of disease had fastened upon him, and refused to relinquish its fatal grasp; and the work of death was consummated May 15, 1839, when he expired at the Florida House, in the above city, calmly saying, "My witness it in heaven, and my record it on high." Thus lived, and thus died, this amiable, pious, and devoted brother. We embalm his memory in our hearts.

"By foreign hands his dying eyes were closed;
By foreign hands his decent limbs composed;
By foreign hands his humble grave adorn'd;
By strangers honour'd, and by strangers mourn'd."